Sunday, August 02, 2009

Model Mayhem: Don't Expect Much!

Based on seeing a few of my fellow photographers use models found on Model Mayhem, I created an account, added a profile and uploaded images. Then I started contacting models and MUAs. I checked their profiles. The number one thing these girls put on their profiles is that they don't do nudity. They really want you to get that. NO NUDITY! They aren't going to take their clothes off. I have never asked a model to take her clothes off. I don't need to be told over and over that a girl won't take her clothes off. But that seems to be their biggest issue and they are going to flog it until all us perverts get it. The only nudes I've ever shot were girlfriends and wives. It is hard. Why would I want to subject myself to that again? But, of course, I have also noticed nudes of these very same models show up. So, I guess they have the Sarah Palin Abstinence program for nudity: deny, deny, deny ... and then do exactly what you say you won't do!

Which leads right into the second Model Mayhem pronouncement: I AM NOT A FLAKE! This comes right after the "I won't take my clothes off. I won't even pretend to take my clothes off!" Yup, and not only are the models flakes, the MUAs are flakes, too. I have had nine Model Mayhem contacts, models and MUAs, in a row cancel or not show up. And that is 100% of my Model Mayhem transactions. I recently arranged for a model to do TFP for a photographic social gathering. She was absolutely committed. Was even going to bring her own MUA. And then she had a friend that was going to come and model also. I arranged this three months in advance. When I didn't hear from her after two months, I messaged her. That's when I found out her sister had to get married and had chosen the same day. Girls used to be able to plan for their weddings a year ahead, but under the Sarah Palin rules of abstinence the pregnancy will dictate the wedding date! But she arranged for another, "I AM NOT A FLAKE" girl to come instead. I exchanged messages with this girl and then didn't hear from her. So, I messaged her and got back, "I got laid off so I will only be doing paying work now!" Like I'm going to pay someone who just in the same breath demonstrated she operates on the Sarah Palin model .... oh, did I mention that she has a daughter but no mention of husband! Is that sexist? I thought it was just practical to have a partner before getting pregnant!

And this hasn't just happened for TFP gigs. Marcie and I had a paid agreement with an MUA who decided at two days before a shoot we put together that she'd make more money if she did a teaching seminar and could we move our shoot to some other time for her? Not a thought about the commitments the other three people had made!

So, I am ranting about it. It is stunning. I would never pay a model that I hadn't worked with or done a test with. And since these Model Mayhem girls don't ever get to me, I will never pay them! I will use an agency model ... which won't be these girls because agencies won't put up with flakes and that's all there is at Model Mayhem. Of course, I'm laughing as I say all this because after all, Model Mayhem is free and we all know what you get for free! NOTHING!

But I guess I am no better. I keep promising to blog something useful and I keep getting overtaken by events, too. But, the blog is free so I guess that's OK! :-)

Travel Safe!

Dwight

9 comments:

Raven Le Faye said...

I randomly came across your post while searching for the answer to a question (pertaining to model mayhem, but completely unrelated to your post :p) I'm sorry you've had such terrible experiences! I hear that from a lot of photographers actually, even though they still use the site :-p They say MM has become the 'myspace' of modeling. But I always I feel obligated to speak up, and insist that not all of us are unprofessional, inconsiderate flakes. I see you still log into your account - hopefully you've had some better experiences over the past year since this post. :)

Dwight McCann said...

Raven, sadly the MM models I have (tried) to work with are consistently flaky. I still try to produce shoots with them but now I laugh going in, make sure all the other participants (assistants, photographers, body painters, etc., who are reliable at it happens) know that things are more than likely to fall apart and we should have alternative plans. Most recent episode was model who for two months swore she would be happy to be nude for a body painting session. She showed up and first words out her mouth were, "I can't be nude!" Her boy friend wouldn't permit it ... and surprise! She had known that for two months! If I really needed a model for a paying gig I certainly would NOT use MM.

And I still maintain my MM account so that others can find me, not because I find success at MM.

Anonymous said...

Love it. Just read an article on a Model Mayhem moderator on The Man Life. Here is the link: http://www.themanlife.com/blog/warning-mike-wong-blindmikecom-scam-site/

Dusya said...

Dwight, my name is Dusya. I was reading about your problems with Model Mayhem and couldn't believe how badly you have been treated. Where I come from (which incidentally is Russia), we are taught to be on time with everybody that we meet in the industry. I was a professional singer, dancer and presenter in Russia as well as a part time model. Unfortunately, when moving to the UK, I misplaced my portfolio, so I am now looking to start again from scratch. I am just looking into kick starting my career again, so maybe we could help each other. I'm based in Birmingham, but as I have a base also in London, I can commute there very easily. Let me know if this is of interest.

Dwight McCann said...

I am in California, USA, so I don't think that's work, Dusya. Also, I don't shoot TFP glamor any more because of my experiences.

Helios said...

A very interesting post Dwight. I agree that I too only have MM for so that people can find me. My interaction with prospective models from MM has been less than stellar. They're never responsive or communicable.

I've had a few be more than a little insistent that I work with them. After agreeing to do so I can't get so much as a reply.

I'm very thorough. I like to know what I'm getting into so I try to discuss the clothing, the makeup, the model release, etc. They just don't get it. This is business for many of us. Like you I'm inclined to resort to agency models.

Thanks for the great post.

Raf said...

the strange thing is that a lot of the models that say the wont do nudes have nude photos on their profiles

I left the site because the forum moderators are wannabe fascists, if you post a view that isnt right wing american you are libel to get brigged or banned, admittedly often because they dont have the reading skills and intelligence to understand what is being said. its a site for socially conforming craft people, but certainly it discourages artists

Anonymous said...

Model Mayhem is full of what I call 'pretend models'. Most will flake and if they do show up, they don't know how to pose. I've had them show up and literally just stand there and not know what to do. They expect me to direct their every movement, every limb, on every shot. If you want to get them to show up, you have to pay them a lot of money, $300 for example but the models on Model Mayhem are not worth that. There's a reason they are on there, they can't get signed. Usually they are too short and/or too fat. And they have all sorts of hangups about posing nude and they want to bring their boyfriends along to the shoot. Real models come alone, know how to pose and have no problem walking around the set naked. They're models. If you check the casting calls on Model Mayhem, it's worse than Craig's List. They all want free headshots, free portfolios, free photoshoots with 'amazing', 'published' and truly 'talented' photographers. It's ridiculous. In their defense, most of the pretend models are young and therefore stupid.

Anonymous said...

Models say they don't do nudity, because they are constantly asked about it. Even if their profile is listed as non-nude, there are no nudes in their portfolio, and absolutely no indication that they are interested in nudes. When a model first joins, she is inundated with requests for nudes from photographers with crap portfolios. It gets annoying after a while, hence the no nudes proclamation.

There are plenty of flakes, but it's also about what you want to shoot. Few women sit around and dream about being the next glamour or nude model, so it is harder to get attractive, reliable TF models for these genres. Shoot fashion or fantasy style work, and do it well, and models will not only show up, but be knocking down your door to work with you.