Monday, March 17, 2008

The Lepp Institute: Tim Grey "Total Control in Photoshop"

I spent the weekend at the Lepp Institute in Los Osos, California, attending a seminar by Tim Grey titled "Total Control in Photoshop". It was $420 and well worth the price for me in my quest to migrate from Ulead's PhotoImpact that I have used for at least seven years and believe is way the best value for the dollar in photo-editing to the more industry standard Adobe Suite and in particular, Photoshop. The Lepp Institute is now owned by Victoria and Hal Schmitt although George Lepp is still strongly coupled. This was the second class for me at Lepp, the earlier one being LightRoom workflow with Jonathan Kingston ... the class that finally lifted me from jpg's to RAW shooting by enabling me with the ability to do decent RAW conversions.

Victoria and Hal were just buying Lepp institute when I attended my first seminar almost exactly a year ago. They had the same space as George although the place looked slightly "torn down" and things didn't flow precisely perfectly ... but it was still excellent. Well, it is now even better. The Epson printers that were a bit of a problem (my two business printers are both Epson and I love them so this isn't meant as a slam on Epson) at each pair of work stations have been replaced by Canon printers that only occasionally wake up and hum for a minute or two. But this is the least of the digital learning center (or whatever they call it) which is a sixteen stations, tiered, roomy mini-amphitheater with two excellent projectors in front for display. I mention roominess because it is really nice to have room for eight or so other students to gather around the dual monitors at each station to view the work of another student or to make a quiet exit to use the indoor plumbing or grab a courtesy snack. I cannot think of a thing that needs improving ... well, maybe bigger monitors for these older eyes, but the dual monitors are generally more than adequate for the Photoshop environment.

And, as Tim said numerous times during his class, "But wait, there's more!" Yes, Hal and Victoria are expanding into the space next door to their's in the shopping mall where Lepp is located. They have all the machinery for printing and mounting canvas prints ... something that I am anxious to try. And there is more space beyond that which may become a studio. Lots and lots of expansion for merely a year!

So, I am herewith recommending Lepp Institute without reservation. I give them a 10 of 10 on all the scales ... and folks who know me know I have NO hesitancy about being critical and sharing it about. In addition, they appear to be folks who listen to their students. Last year there were no weekend classes. This year there are a bunch ... and I am asking for more! And they are bringing in a constantly larger group of instructors ... I can't speak to that area as I'm not a "class hound" as many of my fellow students, several of whom have taken almost every course Lepp Offers and were complaining that they needed something new. If you take a look at the number and range of courses you will wonder how anyone could want much more variety!

Well, this week I expect to receive my Canon 1DsMIII and to photograph my third MMA fights for which my contact with Japanese Martial Arts magazines, Dave, has already sold my images of Malaipet based on my images that he sold of Malaipet at the last fights! :-) I've got a pot full of other projects in the works and will be back here with another entry soon.

Until then, be safe!

Dwight

No comments: