Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Equipment Review: 1h - Battery Power for 580EX II

I learned the hard way that those four AA batteries in a 580EX don't last very long, particularly if you use rechargeable batteries which I do and you are shooting not only maximum power every shot, but using high speed sync as well, on a football field at night in the rain! High speed sync is another discussion, but it involves multiple flashes for each exposure. And running out of battery power for your flash makes you look rather lame, sigh. Fortunately there are a few alternatives. One option is to simply carry extra AA batteries in your pocket (which I was doing the night I discovered how fast they run out.) It can also be a bit of a problem reloading them in the 580EX due to a poor battery door design. I have since bought a 580EX II which makes better use of batteries and has a much improved battery door.


Perhaps a better, though pricey alternative, is a Canon CP-E4 Compact Battery Pack, at about $155. It comes with a nice black canvas case that slips into your pocket or onto your belt or you can use the screw adapter and put it on the bottom of your camera. It is fairly lightweight and professional looking. I used its predecessor, the CP-E3, and now use the CP-E4 which has better weather seals and is designed for use with the 580EX II although it is backward compatible.

I next discovered that even an additional eight AA's, which is what the CP-E4 holds, doesn't always do the trick, especially if you have two events back-to-back or just haven't charged them up since the last gig. Again, this may have a lot to do with using rechargeables, although I really like the 2000 mAh Radio Shack NiMH batteries that I use exclusively these days. Luckily I discovered the Canon CPM-E4, a pricey (again) plastic battery holder for the CP-E4. It is what holds the batteries inside the battery pack and can be purchased separately for around $42 each ... not cheap, but invaluable.

So, until very recently, I carried a CP-E4 with eight batteries and had two CPM-E4's in my case with charged batteries. I marked each CPM-E4 with a number, 1-3 (you can see the "3" in the image above, written with a Sharpy), and traded them into the CP-E4 always in order and charged the last used holder. Never had a problem. But two notes: (1) the 580EX II will use power from all 12 batteries, so the four in the flash itself will be drained as quickly as the others unless you set the option to use only the external battery pack for flash power and the four internal batteries to drive the flash logic [This is C.Fn-12 set to 1], and (2) you need to carry extra batteries for the internal power because if the internal batteries run out, even switching the option to use power from all batteries will not work as the 580EX [II] won't run with its internal batteries discharged ... this was one of the ways I found out how useful the battery tester mentioned below can be ... I thought my 580EX had died because I knew the CP-E3 I was using had good batteries but the unit wasn't working. I just happened to decide to test ALL the batteries and the internal set was totally discharged. I had a spare set in my Pelican case (you cannot have too many spare batteries!), popped them in and all was right with the world.


One more significant lesson: you never know when a battery may go bad ... and one bad battery in the barrel can be a disaster! So, you also need a way to check your batteries ... which will also save you from discarding or recharging batteries that are really OK! I picked up, and love, my Radio Shack battery tester. There have been a number of times that I was sure I had bad batteries when it was something else! And I have been able to locate a bad battery in a set and replace it ... saving a lot of blood pressure. So this is an essential, small, lightweight and soul satisfying item that should be in your bag (or Pelican Case.) It is Radio Shack Model: 22-93 Catalog #: 22-093 and is under $7 ... sweet!

Next time, what I am using now!

Be Safe,

Dwight

No comments: