Thursday, May 15, 2008

400 Ballerinas

I've been so good about posting that I didn't want anyone to think I'm slacking but I likely won't get the next installment of my equipment review for a few days as I am off photographing 400 little ballerinas (well, not ALL are little) through the weekend. The event is the annual Los Olivos Dance Gallery's Center Stage, being performed at Solvang's Theaterfest theater in the round in Santa Barbara County, California. This event is put on by Maggie and Mike Mesikep as the premier recital of dance of all kinds in our little Santa Ynez Valley. It is a community event with dozens of parent volunteers, support of Arts Outreach and many other organizations, and total exhaustion of Mike and Maggie and their staff. It is a joy to watch as well as photograph. [Disclaimer: My six year old daughter attends Los Olivos Dance Gallery and dances in the Center Stage production.]

I am given full and total access, although I have to stay out of the way of the bizillion dancers and stage personnel. But since I can see over the heads of most participants, who are four to eighteen with a few adults thrown in, that's not too hard. This year the tear jerker dance is "Fathers & Daughters" which includes about eight or ten Dads dancing with their own Jazz Dancers. I know a few of the Dads and it tugs strongly on my heartstrings to see them performing ... these are not your young new Dads, they are 40-60 and loving the opportunity.

I gotta download last night's images, so I'm off.

Be Safe!

Dwight

No comments: